Apps to look out for is a regular feature where we take a look at an app that may have otherwise gone under your radar, and that may be very well worth a look.
One thing the iPad and iPhone are really missing for the power user is a built in file manager and explorer, and that is where iExplorer HD comes in and hopes to plug the gap. So, does it live up to expectations?
Yes it does, and it actually proves to be an invaluable and useful tool that will make you wonder why Apple didn’t include some of this functionality out of the box on iOS. The app allows you to browse files, that are not only on your iPad, but also on a Windows Sharing Files/NAS server/FTP Server or in the cloud on WebDAV servers, iDisk, FilesAnywhere, Box.Net, CloudMe, DropBox, Microsoft Live Mesh, SkyDrive and many more.
It is amazing that, once you set up file sharing on your PC and add in a couple of online cloud solutions, such as Box or DropBox, you can get access to literally all your files, all on one screen.
Here, in the words of the developers are the apps best features:
* Transfer files/folders/subfolders between iPhone/iPad and remote servers
* Transfer files with Bluetooth between iOS devices
* Manage files on local or remote server (Rename/Delete/Move/Email)
* Sort files by Name/Size/Date/File Type
* Zip & Unzip files on local or NAS server/FTP server
* Edit text file
* Open in feature
* Stream html/Microsoft office files/keynotes/numbers/pages from NAS/FTP/Cloud servers
* Search files in folder/subfolders
* Sync files from NAS/FTP/Cloud server. View offline files if the server is not reachable
So, as you can see there are a lot of options and features here, but the media element really do take the app one step further, with the ability to view photos on the fly, or even more brilliantly, stream music and video straight to the app. It really turns the iPad into you central hub. Overall, this is an excellent app that has a great interface and dozens of handy features, and comes highly recommended.
Submit your app!