Save the Park, available for iPhone and iPad through the Apple iTunes App Store, is an endless runner with a difference. A ‘game for change‘, the American Express Foundation will donate $1 for every download to the National Park Foundation, which is obviously reason enough alone to get this on your iOS device, Save the Park is also a decent title in its own right.
With a unique feature that sees you taking control of two runners simultaneously, Save the Park has you performing tasks that real park volunteers would be completing, such as protecting habitats, planting new trees and greeting visitors, all wrapped in gorgeous presentation with great design.
The look of the game deserves special mention, as it has a special style that is straight from a kids TV show with excellent characters, and plenty of decent animation and buckets of quality images.
Here, straight from the developer, are the app’s best features:
– Race across three beautifully designed and animated park terrains
– Jump and flick your way to avoid obstacles and collect power ups
– Save the day and be a hero by doing what actual park volunteers do: planting trees, protecting animal habitats, cleaning up the environment and greeting visitors
– Buddy up with a Junior Ranger to join the adventure
– Find the hidden objects – unlock all 25 secret postcards
– Track your impact in the game and share it with your friends
– Learn about our national parks and the impact you can make as a volunteer in the real world
The game is completely free to download and play, with no ads or in-app purchases to be found, which is really a breath of fresh air. Just downloading the title will see $1 donated to a good cause, so it couldn’t really be any better value at all.
For a free game, there is a surprisingly high level of re-playability here, with 25 postcards to find and collect throughout the game, which gives the title a nice meta game to complete, the ability to see how well you are doing and share progress with friends and fun levels to run though, all of which are beautifully designed.
Overall, if you are looking for an attractive endless runner that is truly free, with plenty to unlock and replay, then Save the Park is a great option. The fact that you will be doing a little good along the way is just the icing on the cake.
Submit your app!