Our ‘Apps to look out for’ reviews are quick looks into apps that may well have passed under your radar, but may in fact be worth a look, and possibly even a purchase. Have a peek at today’s app and see if you think it is worth your time and money.
Replayer HD iPad
ReplayerHD for iPad may just be the answer to a lot of iOS owning videophile’s dreams, as it allows you to play a lot of video formats that are not natively supported on iOS. Here is a full list of the formats supported: mp4, avi, mpg, mpeg, asf, flv, mkv, m4v, mov, wmv, vob, swf, ts, tp, rmvb, divx, kg3, mts, and m2ts. It can also play various audio file formats such as mp3, m4a, rm, wma, wav, ogg, and 3gp.
That is a seriously impressive set of formats that are supported. No doubt many of you are already heading to the App Store to expand your device with this app, but there is a lot more that the app can do, as it not only replaces the built-in video player, but it exceeds its capabilities impressively.
The first feature I am going to mention is ‘Touch Locking’. This prevents accidentalt touches on the screen from stopping playback in any way, which is one of the standout features, as far as I am concerned.
- Playing the Video in Camera Roll
- Folder Locking
- Swiping: Left/right swiping can move the video scenes to points 10 seconds earlier or later.
- Multi closed caption support: The video and screen caption file names don’t need to match.
(You can select two arbitrary foreign language closed captions, and an integration version of the closed caption will be displayed.)
- Closed caption size control: By using your two fingers, you can pinch the screen to reduce or move your fingers apart on the screen to increase the size.
- Closed caption color change: Double tapping (use your finger to gently hit screen twice) can change the color.
- Closed caption location control: You can drag the closed caption to adjust its location.
- Closed caption synch control: By using your fingers, you can swipe the closed caption to the left or right to adjust its synch.
- Replay functions: Arbitrary section setting or sweeping your fingers to the left can set endless playback of the previous section.
- mp3 and LRC (synchronized lyrics) support: Lyrics are synchronized to your music. Section repeating is also supported.
- File management (creating, moving, or deleting a folder)
- Most video and audio formats are supported.
- Thumbnail index: You can create a shortcut to the desired location.
- SNS: While watching the video, you can send your favorite scenes with dialog lines to your friend.
- H/W decoding is supported. This provides the optimal performance for mp4 files.
- Audio DownMixing support: Fixed the bug that disables the sound of dialog while the background sound is heard.
- Multi Audio Track support: In the menu list, you can press the video detailed view button ( > ) to select the desired audio track.
- mp3 e-mail attachment support: In addition to closed caption files, you can also attach mp3 files to your e-mail.
- Closed caption synch reset function: While adjusting the closed caption synch timing, if you want to revert to the initial setting, then you can press the reset button in the closed caption control pop-up menu.
As you can see, this really is a ‘feature complete’ style of app, and the developer has been constantly updating it since launch, so the support is there. The controls and interface are a breeze to use, and will be familiar to anyone who has use a touch device to playback video before.
To those of you with a large video collection that is in many differnt formats, this is an absolutely essential app, and should be downloaded right away, especially considering the fact that it is free.