Here is our countdown of the Top 10 Free iPhone Apps of the Week. Don’t let these gems pass you by. Save your money, and go free!
1. Circa News
Circa is the best way to read news on your iPhone and iPod Touch.
Reading long articles just to stay up to date is a thing of the past with Circa’s factual and comprehensive, but right to-the-point news coverage.
Just in time for the 2012 US election season, Circa is the best way to stay up to date what’s going on in politics!
* Catch up quick – Comprehensive yet to-the-point news updates paired with an engrossing mobile experience. It will save you loads of time reading in this concise format.
* Follow the story – rather than constantly re-reading articles on the same subject, Circa allows you to follow stories that you’d like to stay up with
* Point-by-point coverage provided by Circa’s own editorial team
* Share points and stories that you find interesting, right to your Twitter or Facebook accounts
* Circa’s news is sourced by our editors from the best sources, which are available to you if you’re curious
* Every pixel in the app, artfully crafted
Circa is simple, factual, comprehensive. Circa is news, reimagined.
* Added a mode where the app first checks the state of our servers and if they’re having issues, temporarily pauses updating within the app. This means that even if our servers aren’t 100%, you’ll still be able to use the app. This solves a problem that we were experiencing last week where if there were server issues, the app would crash.
* Improved the Offline Reading mode where it’s far more reliable. If your Circa News app can’t reach the Internet somehow, it will still function in Offline mode. But be careful! One Circa customer already missed their transit stop because they were too busy reading!
* Fixed an issue where some customers were experiencing intermittent connectivity problems while on WiFi.
* Fixed an issue for people that were trying out the app without registering. Sometimes the app would crash if you tried using it as a “guest” but this no longer happens.
* Fixed Twitter sharing for customers that have more than one Twitter account logged in. A dialog now pops up and asks which Twitter account they’d like to share to.
2. Letterpress – Word Game
Find words, steal tiles, color the board! Letterpress is a fresh new word game for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Play against your friends using Game Center! The perfect blend of fun and strategy.
Follow on Twitter at @atebits and @letterpressapp.
3. Weird But True
★Winner of Spring 2012 Parents’ Choice Award ★ New York Times App to Keep Kids Happy ★ Chosen as New & Noteworthy, What’s Hot, and Staff Favorites by Apple
Recently updated with wild and wacky sound effects for all 300 facts, new Weird-O-Meter sounds, and other surprises. Hear the pronunciation of the official name of Bangkok, Thailand–it is 167 letters long! Plus, now you can share facts with friends and family via Facebook and Twitter with the touch of a finger.
Did you know that girls have more taste buds than boys do? Or that slugs have 3,000 teeth and 4 noses? And who knew that gorillas burp when they’re happy? Get more than 300 Weird But True kid-friendly facts with the interactive app from National Geographic Kids!
Based on the phenomenally popular department in National Geographic Kids magazine and best-selling book franchise, Weird But True is now available for iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad!
-Swipe to move from fact to fact or shake the device to see a random fact.
-Use the Weird-O-Meter to rate the level of “weirdness” for each fact and monitor results from all users on the Weirdest Facts list!
-Bookmark your favorites or share the grossest facts with your friends via email, Facebook, and Twitter.
-Use the Fact Finder to locate facts about your favorite subjects—animals, weather, space, science, and more!
-Loaded with sound effects and awesome surprises, Weird But True is fun for kids of all ages!
Filled with wacky facts and tantalizing trivia that will engage curious kids and parents alike, Weird But True presents each of the 300 facts in a fun, colorful, and interactive format that will keep kids entertained—and learning—for hours! And parents can rest easy knowing that each fact is age-appropriate and handpicked by a brand they know and trust: National Geographic Kids.
– Advertisements removed
– Bug Fixes
Zombies have invaded Los Angeles; the once glitzy and lavish streets – lush with movie stars and celebrities – are now overrun with hordes of the undead. For some it spells terror, fear, panic… infection – for others it’s an opportunity to light up the silver screen, roll camera and shine! It’s time to bust some guts and wreak explosive havoc!
★★★★★Welcome to Zombiewood!★★★★★
✔ Enjoy exhilarating dual-stick shooter action
✔ Shred through wave after wave of crazy zombies
✔ Zap, boil & burn with 20 wicked ‘n’ wild weapons
✔ Cartoon style inspired by a Hollywood setting
✔ 11 different movies and 10 unique game modes
✔ Mix and match with comical, outlandish outfits
✔ Rise to the top of the leaderboard against your friends
✔ Regular content updates coming with more movies, weapons, outfits and non-stop action!
But that’s not all, there’s much more zombie-action fun tucked inside – so go ahead, install Zombiewood today. It’s funny, and it’s free!
Visit our official site at http://www.gameloft.com
Follow us on Twitter at http://glft.co/GameloftonTwitter or like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Gameloft to get more info about all our upcoming titles.
Check out our videos and game trailers on http://www.youtube.com/Gameloft
Discover our blog at http://glft.co/Gameloft_Official_Blog for the inside scoop on everything Gameloft.
5. Punch Quest
Download the @FreeAppADay.com Store App and wish for more top rated apps like Punch Quest to be featured on FAAD!
Punch Quest is an arcade-style fighting game, entirely controlled by taps with your left and right thumbs.
Jab, uppercut, slam, and otherwise pummel your way through dungeons full of monsters, branching path choices, rare events, and fragile pottery.
– Unlock and equip many special abilities and Supermoves.
– Ride a dinosaur that shoots lasers out of its mouth.
– Character customization that gets shown off on our friend scoreboards.
– Punch an egg that turns you into a magical gnome.
– Do quests to earn really fancy hats.
– Combo system where you launch enemies into each other from across the map.
Punch Quest is a collaboration between Rocketcat Games (Hook Champ, Mage Gauntlet) and Madgarden (Saucelifter, Sword of Fargoal).
Buy directly from independent, creative businesses. Explore over 11 million unique items from small businesses all over the world!
The Etsy app for your iPhone or iPod gives you one-touch access to the world of Etsy. As a buyer, you can browse your activity feed and explore treasuries, search by category, message back and forth with sellers, and purchase items directly from your phone. As a seller, you can list new items, renew or edit draft listings, view shop stats, check up on orders, and get alerts when orders are placed at your shop. With seamless integration of your cart, favorites, purchase history, and shop, the app is a streamlined extension of your online Etsy experience.
If you’re having trouble downloading or accessing the app, please email email@example.com. Thank you!
✔ Create and publish new listings! Take photos, add tags, choose Shipping Profiles, and list new items directly from your phone
✔ Access fully localized and translated versions of the app in Dutch, French, German, and British English
✔ Check out an optimized design for iPhone 5
7. Splashtop Touchpad
Celebrate 10M users enjoying Splashtop!(Splashtop Touchpad is regularly priced at $4.99)
Please check out Splashtop2 Remote Desktop; It’s also FREE for limited time.
Over 10 million users are enjoying Splashtop apps today, and you should too!
** Touchpad is the #1 iPhone app in France and China!!
All Splashtop apps ON SALE Today — Check out Splashtop Remote Desktop for iPhone, iPad, Android, WebOS, MAC, and Windows, the #1 app in 60+ countries — access your PC or MAC app and files anywhere you go!
* Turn your iPhone/iPod into a wireless touchpad and keyboard for your PC or Mac!
* Home: Use your iPhone/iPod to play Hulu and other media players on your PC / MAC connected to your TV!
* Business: Use your iPhone/iPod to control Powerpoint slides on your PC / MAC conntected to a projector!
Do everything that you could with a real keyboard or mouse, including:
– key combinations
– special keys
– left and right mouse buttons
– scrolling controls
This app is super easy to use!
* Application finds your computer automatically with minimal setup.
* Works over Wi-Fi using award-winning Splashtop Remote technology – no line-of-sight required!
* Supports multi-touch gestures, such as 2-finger scrolling.
* Supports all versions of Windows 7, Vista, and XP, including Home Premium.
* Supports Mac OS X 10.6+ (Snow Leopard or Lion is required for Mac users).
* Compatible with iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPod touch (3rd generation and later).
8. Hatchi – A Retro Virtual Pet
★★★ Free for one day – Monday 29th October ★★★
Hatchi is a retro-looking iPhone app sure to get the nostalgia burning for all those who cared for a virtual pet back in the 1990s when they were at the height of their popularity. Just as with the keychain-sized pets of the 90s, iPhone users now will feed, clean, play with and generally look after their pets to ensure they grow up to be healthy, happy little Hatchis. He needs YOU!
★★★ Hatchi is promoted by Appsfire Deals! Download Appsfire Deals and find the best apps in the App Store when they’re free! ★★★
“Say goodbye to your productivity. Say hello to your new friend.” Gizmodo.com
“It’s hilarious, but I really, really, really don’t want Big Poppa Pump (his Hatchi monster) to bite the dust. I’ve somehow bonded with the thing” TouchArcade.com
Your Hatchi monster will go through several stages of growth, and will develop differently depending on the quality of care the player provides. A successfully raised Hatchi monster will be smarter, happier, and require less attention.
– Fixed a crash on 4.3
– Improved animations
Download the @FreeAppADay.com Store App and wish for more top rated apps like Gizmonauts to be featured on FAAD!
New from the makers of DragonVale! Collect your own stellar robot buddies. Win epic battle bot competitions. Customize your robots with detachable gizmo robot parts. Expand your intergalactic outpost. Gizmonauts is out of this world!
PLEASE NOTE! Gizmonauts is completely free to download and play, but some in-game items can be purchased for real money. If you don’t wish to use this feature, please disable in-app purchases. Gizmonauts requires an internet connection to play (3G or WiFi).
Since we were little kids, we’ve all dreamed of a distant future filled with amazing, lovable robots like the ones from our favorite sci-fi movies, TV shows & books. Backflip Studios, the company that brought you DragonVale, Paper Toss, NinJump, and other mega-hit iOS games is happy to announce that the future is now!
✔ Collect tons of awesome robots
✔ Win epic battle bot competitions!
✔ Upgrade your bots with gizmo attachments
✔ Create & discover rare hybrid models
✔ Build your own intergalactic space station
✔ Gift magical space crystals to your friends
✔ Decorate your outpost & make it your own
✔ Enjoy 3D animations & awesome graphics
Gizmonauts. It’s out of this world!
»»» Install Gizmonauts Today
Gizmonauts is brought to you by Backflip Studios, makers of absurdly fun mobile games like DragonVale, Paper Toss, NinJump, Ragdoll Blaster, Strike Knight, Army of Darkness, Shape Shift and Graffiti Ball. Search the App Store for “Backflip Studios” to see all our apps.
Follow @BackflipStudios on Twitter for free game announcements and other updates.
Thanks for playing!
Gizmonauts now has iOS6 Facebook integration and widescreen support for iPhone 5!
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Celebrating Halloween new updated Zuba is ABSOLUTELY FREE for a limited time! Hurry up and don’t miss your luck!
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Test your skills while helping Zuba find his stolen candies. Pass all the deadly spikes, jump over sharp blades and get through all dangerous portals. Energize yourself with candies and sweets. Use all the super gadgets to survive: launch rockets, destroy obstacles, fly over spikes on a jetpack and eat recovery pills. Join the exciting and dangerous candy chase and be the one to squash Zuba’s sweet craving!
Let’s find those candies!
– A new look at the classic arcade racing
– Dynamic gameplay
– Colorful casual graphics
– Super survival gadgets
– Tons of Zuba’s accessories
– 3 control variants (joystick, gyroscope and scroller)
Be the first to discover all the innovations:
– Supply your Zuba with energy by eating candies
– Magnet is a new awesome power up allowing to attract more sweets and stars
– Choose between various accessories in the store to power up your Zuba!
– Facebook integration allows you to compete with your friends and exchange gifts
– Amazing new graphics and effects
App prices are subject to change.
Want your app reviewed like this one? Get it seen by our massive reader base here - Submit your app!